Friday, April 5, 2013

The Last Day


This blog is a little late getting posted. I have been back in Canada for 3 days now but my priority has been to spend time with my family here that I have been away from for so long.

Our last day started at 5:30 am. We were both anxious to get the miles behind us and beat the bad weather that was reportedly moving in. We crossed the  border into Canada just after 7 a.m.   It was good to see those Canadian Flags. I had been out of my country for  5 months-the longest I had ever been out of my country. I had a great time in the USA but it was good to be back in Canada. I am a very proud Canadian who truly loves her country.   Anna pulled over when we got to the Welcome to Alberta sign and as I rolled down my window and felt the cold air I couldn't believe that it could be that much colder than it was at our campground in  Shelby this morning.

 As we crossed over the prairie landscape, there was no sign of green. We passed many huge flocks of geese migrating north.


 Although most of the landscape was like the picture above we did  pass through some beautiful  valleys

Approaching Milk River

We passed through Taber, best known for growing the best corn in Alberta.

As we edged farther north we started seeing a bit of snow in the ditches and fields. By the time we
 passed Brooks we were seeing A LOT of snow.




We felt lucky that at least  the snow was not falling from the sky.  We stopped at Cactus Corner
 at the intersection of Highway 9 and Highway 36 and were told that it was snowing in the Didsbury
 area which is close to where Anna lives. This was not good news.

 As we approached the town of Hanna, I couldn't resist taking a picture of the Canada Grey Goose
 on the east side of town that greets all visitors.This area is famous for being in the flight path 
of the Canada Grey. 











This goose stands on the West side of town
 at the end of Main Street.











We met up with my sister Linda and I was thrilled to see that she had my niece Tammy and her two
 wonderful children Denton and Macey with her. A BIG bonus for me. After a delicious lunch at
 Tammy's house we all went to the nursing home to spend the afternoon with  my mom. It was
 so good to see her. We had a wonderful day. It got even better when we brought the kids back
 to the ranch with us to spend the night. 

And so my adventure of being a Winter Texan ends. It will take me awhile to get back in the groove
 as I am still flooded with memories of my trip. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity 
to spend a winter "practicing" retirement.  I am so glad that Anna kept calling and emailing me
 all those months last winter and spring to persuade me to come with her on the trip.  Sometimes 
in life one just needs to chuck it all and head off on an adventure. I am grateful for the support
 of great friends in Vancouver who didn't tell me I was crazy for getting rid of most of my 
earthly belongings to make this trip and to my friends Gordie and Janette for letting me store some
 things at their places. 
Thank you  so much.

To all my Winter Texan friends  let me say it was indeed a great pleasure to get to know you.
 You are special beyond words. 

And so this journey ends.  I will stay here  in Alberta for about a month before I return to Vancouver.
Perhaps I will share some Alberta adventures from time to time while I am here.

What will be next?  Stay tuned. 


Quote for the Day

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do 
than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
 Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

~ Mark Twain




No comments:

Post a Comment