Sunday, November 25, 2012

South Padre Island-Did We Have Fun!



Walking the beach! This is the life!










We just returned from a wonderful weekend on South Padre Island. Although it was pouring rain when we arrived at Bob and Carol's, we did not let that stop us from having fun. We spent the afternoon visiting and going for a long walk. We met some very interesting people along the way, including a fellow who was getting married that afternoon.


The groom is in the green T-shirt. He was very happy to see Carol and invited her to come to the wedding.









Here we are together. The dangerous foursome!









Saturday  evening we went out to hear J. Michael Laferty at the Padre Rita Grill.  It was a fun place with quite the decor. Anna got some good pictures of it so check out her blog. The music and singing was excellent and we stayed until he played his last set.
Remembering the fellow we had met on the street that afternoon and how he had invited Carol to the wedding, we decided we should go and check out how the wedding dance was going. The party was in full swing  when we arrived and we were promptly invited to join in on the fun. Of course we did. We not only danced, but I managed to sweet talk a nice young fellow into giving me a peice of a delicious chocolate cake that was "only for the men in the wedding party".  Then out of the blue someone from the wedding party gave me a beautiful bouquet-white roses and some kind of red flowers. I guess just about anything can happen on the Island on a saturday night.
Today, we got up and walked along the beach to the end of the Island. South Padre has one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on. The sand is so fine it is like flour and the water is the most beautiful deep blue.
 


I trailed along behind looking for unusual sea shells. I found quite a few.










This is the first time I had ever come across a flourescent blue shell.



 I also found a few blue jelly fish on the beach.
 


You do not want to step on these fellows if they are still alive. I have heard they have quite a sting.









When we reached what was almost the end of the Island we decided to explore some of the fancy hotels to see what they had to offer.


What a view from a few floors up! That is Port Isabel in the distance.





















You really cannot leave these two alone for a minute.



Very nice pools!







The front of the hotels are being decorated for Christmas. It still seems weird to me to be looking at Christmas decorations when it is over 80F.

 
 
 
Three hours later we finished our walk. It was a great morning!
We went across the street to Boomerang Billy's to listen to what I am sure is the best female singer I have ever heard. Hands down! Her name was Leslie Blasing.
We listened to her all afternoon and during that time she sang one great song after another and had the whole place hopping. She sang all kinds of music but mostly older pop and country. Her vocal range was amazing. It was all outside so we got to sit in the sun. I worked on my burn. It is coming along nicely. My back resembles a beet.
All in all, a fantastic weekend!





1 comment: