Thursday, December 20, 2012

Dinner & Karaoke

 I have spent much of the last few days just working on my tan, doing a bit of touring around with a friend, and practicing my spanish. It has been very hot here and the humidy has been very high. It is cool to warm until about 9am and then  it gets hot very quickly.  I learned the hard way what happens when I leave my exercises until late morning. Ever try to work out when it is 30C?  I felt like I was in a "Hot Yoga" studio!

Anna and I got invited out to dinner at our friend Rene's place last night. Rene is our good friend/Spanish teacher/provider of treats/ and chef extraordinaire! We got thoroughly spoiled with a delicious dinner of catfish and coleslaw with some yummy cornbread on the side. It looked very elegant and tasted even better.
 
After dinner we drove to Trails End and  joined some more  friends for Karaoke. Nearly all of us took a stab at it.  I had never sang Karaoke before but I went up with my friend Sally and gave it a try. Thank goodness Sally is a good singer as with my cold and sore throat I alternated between losing my voice completely and having it suddenly change keys in the middle of a line.  It was all in good fun and everyone cheered.
 
Anna got up and sang a few songs.
 
 
Rene even sang us some beautiful Mexican songs.
 
 
 Nearing the end of the evening,  an older Mexican gentleman got up and sang his heart out. A couple of his friends then joined him and the three of them  sang several more songs. They sang with  such passion that even though we couldn't understand the words, we all enjoyed it immensely.
 
Today we are all going to Weslaco where we will  meet for dinner and then take in the Christmas Parade.
 
Although it is difficult being away from my family and friends back home at this time of year, I feel truly blessed to have made so many new friends here at the park. As the saying goes, "It is not the places you go, it is the people you meet". 
 
Keep warm.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are finally using your lovely singing voice in real. We are freezing here!

    ReplyDelete