Sunday, December 2, 2012

South Padre Christmas Boat Parade

For those of you who have requested that I adjust my settings to get rid of the word verification process required to leave a comment on my blog, you will be happy to know that I have done so.

I am a little behind on my blogging. This retirement life is just so hectic!

We have had a great weekend. Yesterday Wes and Jude took us to South Padre Island, stopping for ice cream along the way at a rather interesting tourist shop. The sharks jaws you see are the doorway into the place.






 We stopped in to visit Carol and Bob and then we all went across the street to listen to Leslie sing at Boomerang Billie's for a bit. Jude and I went for a walk on the beach and gathered some seashells.   There were a bunch of people flying kites farther down the beach.  I didn’t have my camera with me but Wes got some great shots that he has promised to send to me later. I will put them on the blog as soon as I get them.


 
 
 
 
 

We met up with a bunch from our RV park at a Seafood restaurant called Dirty Harry’s which is right on the water and has excellent seafood. You can  buy fresh fish to take home from there also. They have  shrimp that are at least 4 or 5 inches long. I highly recommend this place  if you ever get to South Padre Island as the fish was delicious.
After a great time there, we headed for the harbor to watch the Christmas Boat Parade.

We all took our chairs so we could sit along the water and watch as the boats paraded by.








There were 18 boats of various sizes all decorated up with lights and blow up Santa’s, snowmen, etc.




  A couple of the  boats had some special effects in addition to their Christmas decorations; one set off  fireworks, another had a man breathing fire. We all cheered with great enthusiasm as the boats went by to show our appreciation of their efforts. It was a truly great day. Thank you Wes and Jude for taking us along.

Today Anna and I  went  to the Outlet Mall at Mercedes to shop for shoes as my runners were literally falling off my feet. 

As you can see, there was a bit of Christmas Decoration on the lightposts near the palm trees.

 I hate shoe shopping. It is on the very top of my "least favorite things to do" list which is why I am basically shoeless back home.  However, I persevered and  not only found runners but  two more pairs of shoes at Clarks which were less than half the price they are back home. So I am well heeled now. Anna found herself some shoes also so we were both happy.  Of course, it means we will eat less this month but we are trying to lose weight anyway so it all works out. We decided that since we had worked so hard at shoe shopping we would take the rest of the day off to bike and read. This retirement life sure is hard.

The temperature has been holding steady at about 31C the last few days and the forecast looks good.

I wish I could send you all some of this beautiful sunshine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I really like the shot of you on the beach in an earlier post.

    ReplyDelete