Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Aloe Vera Farm & Mexico




Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day so  my friend George and I  drove over to Mercedes to the Aloe King aloe vera farm. I had heard a lot about it from people who had taken tours through there a few years ago and it sounded very interesting. Unfortunately, when we got there we were told that there were no tours that day and that tours had to be booked ahead and must have at least 10 in a party. We were very disappointed but we decided to make the best of it. We browsed through the gift store for a bit. They have a small supply of lotions, creams, and aloe vera juice. They also have some jewelry and carvings for sale. One of the most interesting things was a table covered with small bottles of various colors of  sand in each bottle. Apparently, the owner of the place who is approximately 90 years old makes these "scenes in a bottle" and on days they have tours he demonstrates how he does it. Most of the bottles of sand had scenes of animals. We met this man as we were leaving the gift store and he informed us that yes he still practiced this art.
We walked over to the fields so I could take some pictures.  As you can see from the picture, the aloe vera plants were in bloom with pretty yellow flowers that rise up above the plants.

George bought some aloe vera gel as he bought it last time he was at the farm and he swears it is good for a variety of things. I know from personal experience that it works great on sunburns. 

I would strongly suggest that if you are ever down this way that you make a point to set up a tour as I am told the tours are very interesting. The farm  is only a mile or so south off Business 83 Highway on Mile 2 Road. It is too bad that they do not have a sign on the highway as I think it would draw a lot of people in if they did. We had looked for the farm awhile back but were unable to find it. This time I  looked it up on the internet to get directions. 

We left the farm and headed to Mexico to meet up with some friends from the Park, have some lunch  at The Red Snapper, and of course, do a bit of shopping.  I had chicken fried steak and it was absolutely delicious. It came with a salad, mashed potatoes and rice and was only $4.99. I am  going to go into shock when we return to Canada when it comes to eating out. 

I know I stated in an earlier blog that I was not going back to Mexico but I had to relent as I really love it there. I have even gotten to know some of the people there now and it is fun to see them again. 
We have all had so much fun in Mexico this winter. 

I said goodbye to Mexico and felt sad leaving as I knew I would likely not be back for a very long time.  I took this one last picture as I started crossing the bridge.
It was such a beautiful sunny day and there were many people sitting around  the courtyard  listening to the music.  It was hard to leave. 

Keep warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment