Thursday, March 14, 2013

Audubon Centre


Yesterday morning, George, Janie and I went over to McAllen for shoe shopping. We had planned to tour  the Jukebox Museum at Pharr along the way but when we got there it was closed. This happens in the Valley. No matter, we just carried on down the highway.

  After a couple of stops for directions and food we located the Sketchers store.   I FINALLY found a pair of running shoes. I had found a pair when we first got down here but had to return them as they were very uncomfortable and I had not been able to find a pair since. But today luck was on my side and  I found a really comfortable pair for only $32.00.  They would have likely cost me over $100.00 in Canada.  Janie managed to find a pair for herself as well and also for her granddaughter so we both left the store very happy.

In the afternoon George and I, being the fellow adventurers that we are,  went to Weslaco to the Audubon Centre. What a wonderful place. It is like taking a walk from the desert into a tropical forest.
We searched for butterflies in the butterfly garden   and found many but they would not stay in one place long enough for me to take their picture. We had to be content with just watching them flit from bush to bush.






There were numerous dirt trails that twisted and turned and we came upon one beautiful scene after another.

There were many benches along the trails and it was lovely just to sit and listen to all the birds singing.We tried to spot them but the foliage was so thick that we were unable to see very many of them.  Oh for a pair of binoculars!

The birds we did see were much different than any I had ever seen before.







We walked through the Sabal Palm grove and the foliage was so thick that in places the paths seemed to have walls on both sides.

It was incredibly beautiful!















There were many different kinds of foliage and in many areas off the paths the ground was covered with fallen branches likely a foot or so deep.


At one point I was rather unsure of which trail to take next. The map was like a maze. No matter, it was all good.

Which trail do we go on now?

















We came across a number of ponds and were delighted to spot an egret talking a stroll through one of them.
I had spotted a larger one in an earlier pond but when I went to take his picture he flew away. His wing span was several feet across.

Egret checking out the pond
The highlight of the walk was the Feeding Centre pictured below. There were  chairs to sit on just outside of this area and if you sit real still you can watch the birds coming in to feed.



I caught some pictures of a few handsome birds
at the feeder. This fellow had a very red beak and a red tuft of feathers protruding from  the back of his head.








The oriole in the picture below was actually a brilliant scarlet  but the sun was so bright it was impossible to capture the color.


It was a wonderful experience and I found it hard to leave there. Eventually, we continued on and I  found a few more ponds and I took a few last pictures.





As we were leaving, I asked one of the staff about the huge mansion sitting at the front of the grounds. 
She informed me that the building and the surrounding 10 acres had been donated to the Audubon Centre in 1992 by Merrill Ann Skaggs James. The house was originally built in 1927 by the Skaggs family who were prominent bankers and citrus growers in the area. 
Mansion at front of Audobon Centre
The Audubon Centre is in the midst of restoring the mansion but it will likely take several years to complete. To find the Centre, drive south a mile or so  on Texas Boulevard off Busines 83.  It is easy to miss the sign but if you look for this mansion then you will know you are there.

 I strongly recommend this place to anyone who loves birds and lovely scenery. The grounds of the  Audubon Centre  are perfect for quiet walks and meditation. I found myself doing a lot of reflecting on the last few months while I was walking the paths. I am so glad that I took this "time out" from life and came down here to Texas this winter. To anyone who is even vaguely considering such a thing let me say this, " Just Do It".  Enough said.

Keep warm.








No comments:

Post a Comment