Friday, March 8, 2013

Last Trip to South Padre Island



                                Living the Dream on South Padre

This past week Anna and I  returned to South Padre Island to visit our good friends Bob and Carol. They were wonderful hosts and spoiled us rotten the entire time. Thank you Bob for the fabulous breakfasts you made us and for touring us around all over the place. And a big thank you to Carol for always coming up with great plans of things for us to do. You are so amazing!

 Anna and I left early Monday morning and got to the island in time to take a nice long  morning walk along the beach with Carol. It was a beautiful morning and of course I took tons of pictures.

Anna & Carol on the Beach 
Anna and Carol are discussing how rough life is on the Island.
Sure they are!















In the afternoon Bob and Carol took us across to Port Isabel to visit their friends Joe and Phyllis who live in a very upscale Park there. Many of the people there live along canals that run throughout the Park and they park their boats below their houses.



As you can see from the picture there are lifts that raise the boats out of the water. This is to avoid barnacles from attaching themselves to the boat.








In the evening we went to Daddy's restaurant to have dinner and listen to Larry Battle sing some soft blues and jazz. He is a very personable fellow and visited with all of us. He took Carol for a spin around the dance floor as he was singing.

Carol & Larry

 Bob, Anna and myself ordered a  tray consisting of fish, shrimp and chicken and fries.
Needless to say we were not able to eat it all.


On the way out of the building Carol and  I met up with a pair of alligators.

 Carol managed to wrestle hers to the floor. I was not as lucky.

Tuesday, Anna and I took a trip across the bridge to Port Isabel in the afternoon  to get some of our shopping done for our friends back home.  Thanks to Carol's great tips we found some really interesting little stores. We packed a nice picnic lunch that we thought we would eat in some nice little scenic spot. Unfortunately, the wind got to what seemed like hurricane strength so we ended up having a picnic in the car.

The highlight of our entire trip was going to Palm Street Pier to see Leslie. She was supposed to sing from 3 to 5 but there was such a crowd that she ended up singing until nearly 8 pm. I was so glad that we got to see her show one last time. I picked up a couple more or her CD's to take home with me.
Leslie and I at Palm Street Pier


















The last day Bob and I had to  go out and about to do some errands. He saw this handsome fellow by the side of the street and told me that I needed a picture of me with this guy to put  on my blog with the caption " Brenda found her man". So here it is.

Harry

                                 
He is big and very hairy but is the strong silent type so I think it may work out.

Saying our good-byes on Thursday morning was hard. Bob and Carol are such special people. I hope someday I get to see them again.


Bob & Carol

 Keep warm.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Brenda,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about South Padre Island to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete