Monday, March 25, 2013

More Exploring in Hobart, Oklahoma

Today I continued my tour of Hobart to see what else I could learn about the area. I stopped in at Booth Drug and Soda fountain and had a nice visit with Janet who worked at the Soda Fountain and her friend Doris . They filled me in on some interesting facts. It seems that the Court House is the oldest continually  operating courthouse in Oklahoma.  They also told me the story of  how a  chainsaw carver ( whom I later discovered was Clayton Coss) carved a statue of Chief Lone Wolf out of the remaining trunk of a large elm tree that used to sit on the southwest corner of the Courthouse grounds.  This provided good entertainment for all the local people who would come and sit and watch him as he carved. When completed, it stood there for some time until the termites started getting into it at which time it was moved to the Kiowa County Museum.

To the right of the Courthouse is the Kiowa County Tile Project.

The Kiowa County Tile Project



There is a circular area of tiles depicting Kiowa County and marked with the locations of the towns and various happenings that occurred throughout the years.











There used to be many cattle drives come through this area.












The tiled area is surrounded by a wrought iron fence that has  several carvings  like the ones below.








Late this afternoon I walked downtown  to play some bingo at the VFW(Veterans of Foreign Wars). As it was a bit too pricey for me considering I was planning to go to the play later and would not be able to stay for all the games, I decided not to play. I did know some people there though so  I  stayed and visited for awhile.  I had lots of time to kill before  the play started so I wandered around town for a bit. I stopped at the Main Street Grill for a coke  and had a lovely visit with a young lady named Monica who worked  there.  I was very impressed by her maturity. So many people say that the young people these days don't have their heads on straight. Monica is certainly a good example of one who does.  I returned to the VFW  and did some more visiting.  I ordered some beans and cornbread from the snack bar but they wouldn't let me pay saying I could pay next time I came to Hobart.

I continued on to the Shortgrass Playhouse Theater  and met up with  a very nice lady named Barbara Doyle who came and sat with me to watch the play. The play was called Nunsensations and it was absolutely hilarious. The audience just roared through the entire play. It has been years since I laughed that much.

During the intermission, Barbara introduced me to several people. I met Paula and Larry Willis and they told me the story of Charlie the Ghost that "lives" at the theater. That is a story for another blog so I will relate that story tomorrow. Barbara was kind enough to drive me home and she has offered to take Anna and I to Quartz mountain tomorrow morning. The people here are so unbelievably nice. 

Keep warm. 


Quote for the day: Choice not chance determines human destiny. 
                                  Anonymous 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brenda, It sounds like you are still having so much fun. You certainly meet a lot of people!We are enjoying reading your blog and looking at all your photos. Canada is so young....not as much history as almost anywhere else. All the people you meet seem so extremely nice! Keep it up.
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are enjoying my blog. Yes, there is a lot of history here and I am a real history buff so I love it. The best part though is that I am meeting so many truly nice people.

    ReplyDelete